Thursday, October 11, 2012

Fr Brian D'Arcy reappointed as Superior at The Graan

The well-known Passionist priest, Fr Brian D’Arcy, c.p., is to stay on as rector of the Graan Passionist Monastery in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh.

Notwithstanding the recent controversy in which the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith expressed concern about his writings, he has been re-appointed as superior for a fourth term. 

He has already been Superior at the Monastery for twelve years and his last term finished in May.  

Since then, he has awaited the outcome of the deliberations of the Provincial, Fr Pat Duffy, c.p.

The order’s Provincial and Council have now approved personnel appointments, including the re-appointment of Fr D’Arcy.

Commenting on his re-appointment, Fr D’Arcy said, “I’m delighted, I didn’t think I would be staying. I was quite content to move on if that’s what they wanted, but they said that they’d be happy to keep me on.”

“They were very kind, they said that I was doing a good job and they’d like to keep me here, he said. I had a position in my local community, and they didn’t want to lose that, Fr D’Arcy added. I only found out at the weekend. I was quite content to move on if that’s what they wanted, but they said that they’d be happy to keep me on.”

In July, Fr Brian was one of a number of prominent speaks at a rally in Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan, in support of the billionaire Quinn family and who generated some controversy for their attendance.  

As well as managing the monastery in Enniskillen, Fr D’Arcy, who is a native of Belnaleck, Co. Fermanagh, presents a religious slot on BBC radio and writes a column in the Sunday World newspaper.  

His views have sometimes challenged orthodox Church positions and this culminated in the Vatican issuing an instruction to his order that his journalistic and other writings were to be viewed before publication.