Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lent 2009


Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Lord,
help us to do your will
that your Church may grow
and become more faithful in your service.


Daily Meditation


In the first reading, lifting up the image of a serpent

healed and protected the people during their

journey of liberation in the desert.

In the gospel, like a trial scene, Jesus is defending himself.
They want to know who he is.

They want to know him - but they resist knowing him.

He tells them that they'll really know him

when he is "lifted up."

They will lift him up on the cross, to be put to death.

God transformed that tragedy, by letting his death

"pay the price" for all of our sins.

When we look at a crucifix, we look at the image of
the one who is "lifted up" in Glory.

He is lifted up for our liberation from sin and death.

Let us give him thanks, from the bottom of our hearts.
Our celebration of our glorious salvation is near.

"When I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all people to myself."

Put your hope in the Lord. Take courage and be strong. - Ps. 26:14

O Lord, hear my prayer, and let my cry come to you. Ps. 102:2

Intercessions


Praise to Christ, who has given us himself as the bread from heaven. Let us pray to him, saying:
Jesus, you feed and heal our souls; come to strengthen us.


Lord, feed us at the banquet of the Eucharist,

- with all the gifts of your paschal sacrifice.


Give us a perfect heart to receive your word,

- that we may bring forth fruit in patience.


Make us eager to work with you in building a better world,

- so that it may listen to your Church and its gospel of peace.


We confess, Lord, that we have sinned,

- wash us clean by your gift of salvation.

Closing Prayer


Loving God,
You have heard my complaints, my impatience.


Sometimes I become frightened when I move away from you.


Guide my heart back to you.


Help me to think beyond my own wants
and to desire only to do you will.